21 March 2006

desert island cds


Remember the game you used to play back in the day? Imagine you're stranded on a desert island...For my birthday this year, sistah made me what is quite possibly one of the coolest set of compilation disks ever. I burned them all to my ipod, and the heavy rotation proves that this may indeed be all anyone could want or need (check that - I'd like to make one more with a few stragglers I just couldn't do without). Some of the tracks are so good they can't be overlooked, and some are so bad they're actually good too! Here's the rundown:



one
"every song a classic!"
1. Joni Mitchell, woodstock
2. Etta James, at last
3. Prince, KISS
4. Led Zeppelin, whole lotta love
5. The Rolling Stones, paint it black
6. Frank Sinatra, under my skin
7. The Guess Who, green-eyed lady
8. The Beatles, blackbird
9. Wayne Newton, l-o-v-e
10. Tom Jones, you can leave your hat on
11. Bon Jovi, wanted dead or alive
12. Bad Company, feel like makin love
13. Peter Gabriel, in your eyes
14. Journey, don't stop believing
15. Lynrd Skynrd, freebird
16. Motley Crue, home sweet home
17. Fleetwood Mac, landslide
two
"good and covered!"
1. Maxwell, this woman's worth
2. Ben Harper & Jack Johnson, high tide or low tide
3. Natasha Bedingfield, somewhere only we know
4. Cowboy Junkies, sweet jane
5. Nicole Kidman & Robbie Williams, something stupid
6. Sheryl Crow, wild horses
7. Alanis Morrissette, crazy
8. Frou Frou, holding out for a hero
9. Jane's Addiction, no rain
10. Aerosmith, come together
11. Janet Jackson, you're so vain
12. Guns 'n Roses, live and let die
13. Paul Giamatti & Arnold mcCuller, try a little tenderness
14. Robert Downey Jr., river
15. Sarah Harmer, summertime
16. Arnold mcCuller, freebird
17. Jim Carey & Jeff Daniels, mockingbird



three
"guilty pleasures my ass...
rock ballads are GOOD!"
1. Night Ranger, sister christian
2. Bon Jovi, bed of roses
3. Chicago, just say you'll love me
4. Def Leppard, love bites
5. Foreigner, I've been waiting
6. John Waite, I ain't missing you
7. Nazareth, love hurts
8. Cinderella, don't know what you've got
9. Whitesnake, here I go again
10. April Wine, just between you and me
11. Loverboy, this could be the night
12. Scorpions, wind of change
13. Tesla, paradise
14. Journey, open arms
15. Cheap Trick, the flame
16. INXS, never tear us apart

four
"hatred is healthy"

1. Peaches, I don't give a fuck
2. Nikki Cleary, hated
3. Joan Jett, I hate myself for lovin you
4. Keisha Cole, I should have cheated
5. Puddle of Mudd, she hates me
6. Boomkat, rip her to shreds
7. Black Eyed Peas, shut up
8. Pretty Girls Make Graves, if you hate your friends
9. Kelis, I hate you so much right now
10. Michael & Janet Jackson, scream
11. Brooke Valentine, girlfight
12. Rage Against the Machine, killing in the name
13. Headstones, who the hell?
14. The Hives, hate to say I told you so
15. Nas w/Puff Daddy, hate me now
16. Bif Naked, I love myself today
17. L'il Jon ft. Mystikal, I don't give a fuck



five
"hip hop (5 minutes ago)"
1. Beastie Boys, 3 mcs and 1 dj
2. L.L. Cool J., mama said knock you out
3. mc Lyte, cold rock a party
4. Notorious B.I.G., big poppa
5. Run DMC, it's tricky
6. Skee Lo, I wish
7. Salt 'n Pepa, boom! I got ur boyfriend
8. Outkast, so fresh and so clean
9. Rob Base & dj Easy Rock, joy and pain
10. Cameo, word up
11. 2 Live Crew, me so horny
12. Bel Biv Devoe, poison
13. Color Me Badd, I wanna sex you up
14. De La Soul, me, myself and I
15. Whodini, freaks come out at night
16. Snoop Dog & Dr. Dre, nothing but a 'g' thang
17. Blackstreet, no diggity
18. Young MC, bust a move
six
"hip to the hop & ya don't stop"
1. Amerie ft. Jay-Z, one thing
2. Akon ft. Styles P., locked up
3. Bobby Valentino, give it to me
4. Ciara ft. Missy Elliot, 1 2 step
5. L.L. Cool J., move something
6. Ginuine ft. R. Kelly, Clipse & Baby, hell yeah
7. Mark B. ft Tommy Evans, move...now
8. Jay-Z, dirt off your shoulder
9. Marques Houston ft. Joe Budden, clubbin'
10. Miri Ben-Ari, waiting for you
11. Missy Elliot ft. Pharrell, on and on
12. Jay-Z & R. Kelly, shake ya body
13. Omarion, touch
14. Game ft. 50 Cent, envy me
15. Mase, breathe/stretch/shake
16. Beyonce ft. Big Boi & Sleepy Brown, hip hop star





seven
"if AC/DC were god,
aerosmith would be their bitch"
1. big balls
2. come together
3. for those about to rock
4. pink
5. hwy to hell
6. love in an elevator
7. back in black
8. living on the edge
9. thunderstruck
10. dream on
11. dirty deeds done dirt cheap
12. walk this way
13. tnt
14. janie's got a gun
15. shook me all night long
16. take me to the other side
17. if you want blood (you got it)
18. sweet emotion

eight
"if this can't cheer you up...
you're hopeless"
1. Stevie Wonder, uptight
2. N.E.R.D., she wants to move
3. John Legend, number one
4. Black Eyed Peas, my humps
5. Mariah Carey x/ L'il Jon, shake it off
6. B-52s, love shack
7. Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx, golddigger
8. Pixies, here comes your man
9. the Contours, do you love me
10. Danko Jones, bounce
11. Gwen Stefani, holla back girl
12. Elvis, crazy little thing
13. Cibo Matto, know your chicken
14. Michael Jackson, don't stop
15. Tom Jones, it's not unusual
16. Robbie Williams, rock dj
17. The Monkeys, daydream believer
18. Missy Elliot, I'm really hot
19. Wayne Newton, danke schoen



nine
"take it easy"
1. Belle and Sebastien, if she wants me
2. John Mayer, no such thing
3. Tegan & Sara, living room
4. Sarah Harmer, silver road
5. Andy Stochansky, stutter
6. Frou Frou, breathe in
7. Joni Mitchell, both sides now
8. Remy Zero, save me
9. Mazzy Star, been let down
10. The Shins, weird divide
11. Ryan Adams, come pick me up
12. Bonnie Sommerville, winding road
13. Cary Brothers, bottled the sun
14. Ani DiFranco, angry anymore
15. Jack Johnson, gone gone gone
16. James Blunt, too late
17. Jem, maybe I'm amazed
18. Patti Griffin, one big love
19. Pixies, hey
ten
"stuff so funky it gives you a stank face!"
1. Anthony Hamilton, I tried
2. Funkadelics, one nation under one groove
3. Chris Isaak, baby did a bad bad thing
4. Otis Redding, funky medley
5. D'Angelo, dreaming eyes
6. Wild Cherry, play that funky music white boy
7. John Legend, alright
8. The Commodores, who's that lady
9. Miri Ben-Ari, sunshine to the rain
10. War, spill the wine
11. Beyonce, work it out
12. Kool & the Gang, jungle boogie
13. Isley Brothers ft. Raphael, move your body
14. Al Greene, ain't no sunshine
15. India Arie, talk to her
16. Earth, Wind & Fire, let's groove



Best. Gift. Ever!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out a group called Hayseed Dixie - blue grass band that does AC/DC covers. Makes you smile every time.

Anonymous said...

a ten disk mix CD?! That is staggering... every present I do from now on will be in comparison to that tour d'amour of a gift.

Anonymous said...

holy crap the hump song really??

I love other peoples mixes.

we should do a big mix exchange thing some day, so fun..
xox
mir

Candis said...

I would SO be all over that! Provided it's after the second week of April, I'm in!