
Someone else asked the question: "What is the fascination with Britney Spears' uterus?" "Dean Dad," subbing in for
Bitch PhD of late, puts out the question to the blogosphere, and while I eagerly await the comments (damn it's nice to be tuned in to a feminist blog that people actually read!), I get to post one of the many images sent to me via email alongside a barrage of news links on Britney's poor mothering, lousy gross husband, and drop off the most-hot lists. DD suggests two things: the spectacle of watching the once-hottest pop tart 'let herself go,' and the other spectacle of white trash that has coincided with her identity shifts. I suspect that it also has to do with the larger (pop) cultural fascination with pregnancy of late: Gwenyth, Katie, Gwen, Angelina... And the new term-of-the-moment, the "baby-bump." New language to inspire new discourses around women's bodies revolving around normalcy, "appropriate" femininity and mothering, and the policing of all three. I also suspect that the right's renewed interest in pro-life agendas has a finger or two in the mix as well...
No comments:
Post a Comment