19 May 2005

just plain ol' sexism

Main Entry: sex·ism
Pronunciation: 'sek-"si-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: 1sex + -ism (as in racism) 1 : prejudice or discrimination
based on sex; especially : discrimination against women 2 : behavior,
conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex-
sex·ist
/'sek-sist/ adjective or noun
(yes, I love the
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary).

I've always thought Belinda Stronach was a bit of an anomaly as an MP under the Conservative Party, and I liked that. I also liked that she represented a constituency that I knew, close to home. I liked that she was willing to go against the party line on same-sex marriage, to speak up and out. And I like that she crossed the floor this week to join the Federal Liberals.

What I don't like is how the Canadian news agencies have been reporting on that highly controversial move. I specifically turned on the TV to watch the 6 o'clock news on Tuesday to get the deets, and the tube happened to be set on Global. First analogy I heard? "Paul Martin had a date with Conservative MP Belinda Stronach last night, and he got lucky." I shut it off to wait for the papers.

I haven't been the only one noticing. Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, Manitoba MP Anita Neville, and political scientist Linda Trimble all remarked in various forums that calling Stronach a "whore" a "prostitute" and "a dipstick – an attractive one, but still a dipstick" has been the only way the political move has been discussed. CBC News Online ran a story - not about the sexism (of course not!), but the charges of sexism that have resulted from the unexpected colour change.

Today, The Tyee: A Fiesty one Online published a story that cuts to the chase - noting not only the sexist tone of the Canadian Press, but also that it's the boys - Stephen Harper and his clubhouse - who have been doing the belittling. Writer Shannon Rupp's clarity is so refreshing: given that the rhetoric has revolved around disgust at a female politician's ambition (gasp!) and her slutishness in making a move that will put her in the history books, "Stronach’s femininity is clearly on trial here."

Again, there's nothing new happening here. Remember the media coverage of Adrienne Clarkson's appointment as the new governor general? (if not, here's a pretty decent refresher). Interestingly, Dorianne Sager chooses to call it "media meanness" as opposed to what it really is: plain old fashioned sexism.

Go ahead: lie to your daughters. Tell them they can grow up and be whatever it is they want to be. That the playing field is level. That gender equality has been reached. I dare you.

1 comment:

Labris said...

One of the best closing lines to a blog post ever. I got goosebumps.