blogging.
Steenblogen was conceived as an attempt to reawaken my senses and to get back into the groove of thinking and writing writing writing - a lot - on a daily basis (a get-the-juices-flowing kind of thing) as the process of completing a PhD relentlessly tries to freeze all of my synaptic impulses. But I'm not so naïve to think that it's not also partially (okay, maybe more than a little) a procrastination technique; a way to shift attention away from the tasks at hand and the looming deadlines and to spout on and out about things that may or may not be related. I'm a firm believer in the idea that sometimes intentionally putting something off that needs to be done is actually part of the process of getting that thing done.
Miriam Schacht's In Praise of Procrastination sums things up well, I think. She very insightfully notes: "It’s interesting that, when it’s work I love, my procrastination is doing “useless” things, but when I don’t love my work, my procrastination is the one thing I’d call worthwhile..."
Could be quite telling...