24 June 2005

bonne st-jean!


Today is Quebec's national holiday - St-Jean Baptiste - and we're celebrating in true Montréal style: holding a BBQ for neighbours (two of whom are moving this weekend), BYOM and sangria. In attendance: one francophone, two bilingual anglophones and an allophone (all from Montréal), two Ontarian anglophones, an Acadian and an anglo-American. SO starkly different from my intro to this holiday in 2000 by a francophone nationalist who brought me to a Québecois house party that was wilder than wild - singing at the top of your lungs, drinking til you can't drink any more, fleur-de-lys flag-waving and a mixture of dialects I struggled to understand and follow. Funny that it felt no less Montréal today than it did those years ago...

On an unrelated note, I gave up on trying to fix the template problem and reloaded a new one - I took a hit on the border, but at least the text is laying the way it should.

1 comment:

Labris said...

And they say that multiculturalism is dead...