09 June 2005

foolin' the gender genie


Female Score: 1426 Male Score: 2993

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!


Yes, it seems that I write like a dude. At least according to the genie's algorithm analysis of "feminine" and "masculine" keywords, anyway - and based on my blog style only (I haven't tested it out for academic writing style, although I doubt it'd change...).

Apparently, "the algorithm should predict the gender of the author approximately 80% of the time." Linguistics professor Deborah Tannen says she's not surprised that this little contraption can identify gendered differences. (Interesting that Michael Woods, the author of that article, doesn't know the difference between "sex" and "gender" himself - he calls the AI a "sexless computer." Pffffft.) However, according to the site's stats, it's not uncommon for the genie to be fooled by female-identified bloggers (as well as texts cited as being fiction) - more so than with non-fiction, that's for sure.

The question begs to be asked: Is it the medium? Or the message?

At least I can remain safe and sound and comfortable with my female masculinity...

No comments: