Masculinities made its debut in Women's Studies today, and wow - am I stoked. Cap raised to 35, and while everyone on the class list didn't show up, many many more did - all clamouring to enrol. The room was wall-to-wall packed, my partner in crime and I were bang on our back-and-forth, our description of the course and review of the syllabus got laughs and excited nods, and the go-around amounted to no less than "wow, this is a dream class, I can't believe it's being offered." Agitated sleep and night-before nervousnous (and months of excrutiating reading and decision making) for nothing! I get to start the ball rolling next week with "making, learning and doing man" (funky way to say I'll be talking about the social/cultural/ historical construction of sex, gender and sexuality) and although the video for CBC's Hot Type feature on masculinity fell through, I suspect that there'll be no shortage of discussion and debate to fill the full three hours (if the dynamic Intro class is any indication). What was most amazing was that everyone seems to have their own unique underlying motivation for being there in the first place - the best reason to ever take a class IMHO. I'm already sad that there are only 13 weeks in a term (but so very happy to be co-teaching and sharing the load...). Pumped!
07 September 2005
1 down, 12 to go...
Masculinities made its debut in Women's Studies today, and wow - am I stoked. Cap raised to 35, and while everyone on the class list didn't show up, many many more did - all clamouring to enrol. The room was wall-to-wall packed, my partner in crime and I were bang on our back-and-forth, our description of the course and review of the syllabus got laughs and excited nods, and the go-around amounted to no less than "wow, this is a dream class, I can't believe it's being offered." Agitated sleep and night-before nervousnous (and months of excrutiating reading and decision making) for nothing! I get to start the ball rolling next week with "making, learning and doing man" (funky way to say I'll be talking about the social/cultural/ historical construction of sex, gender and sexuality) and although the video for CBC's Hot Type feature on masculinity fell through, I suspect that there'll be no shortage of discussion and debate to fill the full three hours (if the dynamic Intro class is any indication). What was most amazing was that everyone seems to have their own unique underlying motivation for being there in the first place - the best reason to ever take a class IMHO. I'm already sad that there are only 13 weeks in a term (but so very happy to be co-teaching and sharing the load...). Pumped!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
have you caught the Denis Leary show 'Rescue Me' on Showcase? May provide additional fodder. (I think it's on Sun and Tues. at 10pm)
Post a Comment