08 September 2005

croyez-vous en l'Extraordinaire?


Came home after a wonderfully long and busy muggy and rain-soaked day, and an advert for Thierry Mugler's new "Alien" perfume shoved into my mailbox asked me that very question.

Well, there were no bills in that mailbox. That's somethin.

Went to a workshop held by the Human Resources department this morning and realized that I'm clear to not do any more conferences or publish any more. Just get the diss done and done.

Had a meeting with a COMS prof (quite possibly the coolest woman to ever walk the earth) this afternoon and riffed excitedly about said diss topic and the possibilities of various lines of inquiry and felt totally psyched about getting moving. It was so exhilarating to talk to someone who had similar questions, was keen on what I was doing, and who just wanted to bounce things around rather than offer sweeping generalizations (or to tell me rather than converse all about my topic, which is more the norm).

From there I went up to see if I could bump into my primary advisor to say a hello and a quick hey turned into a hardcore academic advising session where I left not only still exhilarated about my topic but with a deadline of approximately five weeks to get my remaining two comps done. So a combo of excited and scared shitless! Wicked!!

Back home for a short blip - enough time to send a coupla emails and make a coupla phone calls - and off again to eat the most amazing, heavy, filling, delicious traditional German food with good red wine, stimulating conversation and lots of laughs out on the West Island.

Back again for the night, had an amazing in-depth late late night conversation with a girlfriend who so rarely is up this late, and am off to bed.

Feeling bloated, sated, electric, and so so grateful.

Do I believe in the extraordinary? Yes, yes I do. I think I'm on a roll...

2 comments:

Labris said...

Next time, you really should order the spƤtzle--it was out of this world. I waddled out, but it was awesome. :)

Pacanukeha said...

But, but, I love generalizations. All of them.