This town has restrictions on how much garbage you can leave at the curb each week (2 bags, soon to be 1) yet has the most restrictive recycling system I have ever seen. Most of the garbage that we dragged out this morning was fully recyclable in Montreal.
Canadian Idol and its four remaining contestants sang attempted to sing hits from Memphis (yes, Elvis - in all his incarnations) last night.
On the weather network (a 30 second clip):
An interview with a woman wrapped in a quilt, soaking wet, who had just lost her home in Louisiana:
"I now have a very, very strong respect for mother nature."
The very next clip (2 minutes or more):
How Katrina is already doing a real number on gas pricing and interviews with folks at the pumps, bitching about how Katrina is doing a real number on gas pricing.
5 comments:
how 'bout the feller who compared the devestation of biloxi to hiroshima?
um...yikes. I hadn't heard the comparison, so I googled it - over 32,000 pages came up.
Try "Pompeii" or "tsunami."
You know, I understand people's tendencies to amplify their own personal tragedies, and I don't want to minimize or mock the suffering of Americans in Katrina's path, but come on. We're talking about a difference of several orders of magnitude. When the scale changes so radically, it becomes another thing altogether.
It's like the poster that I saw the other day: "Why do they only call it terrorism when it happens to Americans?" For Americans (or at least those interviewed by the American media), it seems like everything is an act of God and a sign of the impending apocalyse (caused, of course, by homosexuals, feminists, miscegenation, and France)...
On a more local note, a couple of the authors participating in this conversation should know that a HUGE tree was knocked over on their street this morning, cutting the power for about an hour. Hope this remnant of Katrina is the closest thing I ever experience to a full blown hurricane!
It's funny, but I didn't even notice the tree until I got home from work: it's at the bottom of the street, far from our place. We didn't even lose power.
Post a Comment