28 October 2005

inking up the dark tower


BREAKING NEWS (yes, only the real important stuff here):

Stephen King™ has just joined forces with Marvel™ Comics to create a new series based on The Dark Tower series. Yes, it's true - just check King's official site - or Marvel's, for that matter - Roland is going to be illustrated full graphic style, and the books will be out in shops by Spring of next year. Now, I'm new to the skill of comic book reading and have now read enough to know what kind of narrative I like, what kind of pulp I dig, and what I don't, but I'm still very, very green. But I'm not a rookie to King (dude is probably single-handedly responsible for me going to graduate school - he got the 11-year-old version of me not only into the horror/sci fi genre, but also into reading in general, and it stuck like glue) and although he doesn't transfix my gaze like he used to (the 11-year-old me didn't 'get' sexism and misogyny as plot devices), I've kept on reading as the novels churned out. And I'm really looking forward to this new turn. One of the features of the original book series was a collection of drawings strewn throughout the book in an almost random, sort of haphazard way, and they always seemed to me to be more like the notebook scrawls of a steeped-in-fantasy highschool boy than any earnest attempt at representing the unfolding story itself. But the gunslinger does have a healthy amount of cheese attached to his character; and so the balance in turning it into comic form will have to be a struck just right. Enter Eisner-award (the "Oscars of the comic book industy") winning Jae Lee, chosen to bring the story - both old and new varieties of it - to life. His work looks like it it'll make for the perfect blend of darkness, mystery, machismo, and cheddar - and now I'm really looking forward to the series' arrival.

No comments: