13 October 2005

sad news


My Oma passed away yesterday. She was 94.

My Oma was my dad's mom. She lived with us (and my Opa too) when I was in high school but moved to Ottawa about 10 years ago to be closer to my aunt (her eldest) and to her hubby when he needed to be moved to a residence with 24-hour care. She was a crazy strong woman - moved post-war to Canada (to Paris, Ontario) from Holland (Hoogeveen, Drenthe) with four kids, learned English, survived breast cancer and many broken bones, and learned French in her 80s when she moved to a bilingual city (so she could speak to her chums and do the crossword puzzles). An amazing and very very strong woman.

One of my advisors said something quite poignant about the news: "At any age, and even when it's expected, if the person is loved it comes as a painful shock for the survivors."

The memorial is slated for Saturday morning at 10am in Ottawa. I'll be a full day into my comprehensive examination, due in first thing Monday morning.

1 comment:

I'm basically a warm-hearted creature. said...

I'm very very sorry to hear about your loss. Remember that the strength and fortitude that poured through your Oma is also evident within you. You are a part of her legacy. Tap into that strength this weekend. If you need someone to listen, just call.